Introducing Principles of Banking with online flexibility! Add your start date in the note section of your order.
Principles of Banking, in its 12th edition, is intended to give those who are new to banking a general understanding of the industry. Recognized as the most comprehensive introduction to the banking industry for over 40 years, it introduces fundamental banking concepts and principles, the basics of how banks operate as service providers and businesses, their obligation to operate in a safe and sound manner and manage risks, and the responsibilities of bank employees in a customer-focused financial services environment.
The content in Principles of Banking has direct applicability to a broad range of banking positions – from a Customer Service Representative to a Consumer Lending Manager.
The purpose of the Principles of Banking course is to provide participants with the fundamental information they need to understand the business of banking and how the participant, as a bank employee, is a part of the overall business.
• Explain the context, structure, and operation of banks as both service providers and profit-making enterprises that rely on employees to provide customer-focused service
• Describe how the evolution of the U.S. banking system has led to the opportunities and responsibilities of banks and bank employees today
• Explain how banks function as financial intermediaries, contribute to the flow of economic activity, and help the Federal Reserve fulfill its role in managing monetary policy
• Describe the roles of boards of directors, senior management, committees, and employees in the business operations of banks
• Identify the financial statements that banks use and explain banks’ business operations, from managing assets and liabilities to maximizing returns on loans and investments, while minimizing expenses and risks, monitoring financial performance, and planning for the future
• Describe deposit products and services, the bank’s function in opening deposit accounts, and laws and regulations relating to deposits
• Describe the components of checks as negotiable instruments, types of endorsements, the check payment process, and check fraud schemes
• Explain banking laws and regulations related to payment processes
• Discuss how consumers and businesses bank electronically, how electronic banking is evolving, and laws related to electronic banking
• Identify the types of loans banks offer their customers, the lending process, and laws and regulations pertaining to lending
• Describe what constitutes personal financial planning—the insurance, investment, retirement, and trust products and services banks offer to support their customers’ financial plans, and how such services are regulated
• Describe the specialized cash management, insurance, capital markets, trust, employee benefit, and international banking services banks offer to meet the financial needs of their business customers
• Explain how banks build relationships with customers by meeting their expectations, what factors influence customer purchasing decisions, and how both banks and their customers benefit from effective sales and marketing practices
• Discuss methods by which banks protect customer data, identify customers, and authenticate transactions, and describe the various types of fraud against bank customers and how they can protect their privacy and identities
• Explain how banks safeguard their assets and protect the nation’s economy by adopting appropriate employee hiring and vendor management practices and remaining vigilant to crimes against banks
• Identify various laws and regulations that apply to chapter topics.