IACET CEUs: 0.5 (Contact Hours: 5 hours)
This course, a staple for anyone who is interested in improving their writing, will ensure you have a detailed understanding of word categories, punctuation, and sentence construction. The course will guide you through the eight parts of speech; simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences; ten punctuation marks; and the rules for capitalization. Through real-world exercises, you’ll be able to categorize words and phrases, build different types of sentences, and correct common syntax and punctuation errors.
- Identify the form and function of the eight parts of speech
- Sort words and phrases into the eight parts of speech in sentences and paragraphs
- Define and identify subclasses within the eight parts of speech
- Correct common mistakes in using the eight parts of speech
- Recognize and correct common syntactic errors, such as subject-verb agreement, ambiguous pronoun references, and dangling modifiers
- Define and identify different types of phrases, clauses, and sentences
- Identify how clauses can be joined
- Generate simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentence structures
- Explain and correctly use semicolons, colons, commas, dashes, slashes, ellipses, square brackets, and apostrophes
- Define a style guide and its use
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Fully accessible
- Games & Flashcards
- Video content
Estimated time to complete: 5 hours
This course includes an “Ask the Expert” feature. You can use this feature to submit questions about course content. A subject matter expert will provide guidance or point you to additional resources for the topics you’re studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.