How You Will Benefit
Ongoing performance development involves establishing a systematic process that managers can use to support employees. This process focuses on creating clear expectations for individual performance based on the organization’s goals. Sebastian Bailey, a Forbes.com contributor, reported on research that found employees whose managers excel at people development perform twenty-five percent better than employees whose managers struggle with it.
The goal of this program is to help managers improve their people development skills by implementing a performance management system that helps every employee achieve their peak performance potential.
Successful completion of this course will increase your ability to:
- Differentiate between ongoing performance development and annual performance appraisals.
- Recognize the benefits of using a systematic approach to performance management.
- Create a performance management plan.
- Establish objective measurements of performance.
- Hold productive performance conversations and avoid conversation minefields.
- Evaluate your own performance as a developer of your employees.
Key Topics Covered
This course explores the following subjects in depth:
- Drawbacks to annual performance appraisals
- The four-step process to ongoing performance development
- Understanding the link between competencies, accomplishments, and organizational goals
- How to collect and then prioritize data to identify competencies and accomplishments
- Using qualitative and quantitative performance measurements to provide feedback and support
- Recognizing issues having a negative impact on performance
- Five steps to structure and ensure effective performance conversations
- How to prepare for performance conversations and minimize escalated emotions
- Using techniques of ongoing performance management with an annual appraisal