How You Will Benefit
With increasing globalization comes diversification in the workplace. As organizations turn to hiring employees from many parts of the world, the need for cultural understanding is at its greatest. Culture shapes the values, habits and thinking patterns which impact work life from communication to time management. If you are visiting another country, working with a different age, race, or gender demographic in the office, or collaborating with a foreign business, the ability to understand and adjust to different cultures is highly important.
Today, large American firms are increasingly led by people with roots in foreign countries. In the next 50 years, the standard office is going to see major cultural and demographic shifts. By 2050, Latino and Asian populations are expected to nearly triple in the U.S., and the children of immigrants will become more prominent.
However, many organizations are not adequately preparing their employees for cultural change. A SHRM study reported that among the Fortune 1000, one-fifth of respondents indicated their organizations have very informal diversity efforts with nothing structured at all, with 41% of study respondents specifying the underlying reason being that they’re “too busy”.
In this course you will gain the skills to be both aware of your own cultural adaptability and capable of handling cultural change. You will be better at acknowledging norms and differences, building rapport, cross-cultural negotiating, building bridges, and handling sensitive situation.
Successful completion of this course will increase your ability to:
· Identify the elements of cultural competence in the workplace
· Increase your understanding of your own cultural background and how it affects your perceptions and interpretations of other cultures
· Recognize the three dimensions of cultural awareness when interacting with other cultures
· Develop the skills needed to practice respectful and caring behavior toward culturally diverse individuals and groups
· Understand how values differ among cultures
· Identify different communication styles among diverse cultural groups
· Give and receive feedback in a caring, respectful way
· Adapt behaviors that support cultural competency and minimize behaviors that undermine it
Key Topics Covered
This course explores the following subjects in depth:
· Developing personal cultural awareness
· How to build rapport and communicate with your entire body
· Techniques for giving feedback to ensure understanding
· Hall’s pattern of communication
· Behaviors that support and undermine cultural competency
· Strategies for handling sensitive situations